Bang Pain Summer Palace
Bang Pa In
Summer Palace

Bang Pain Palace dates to the 17th century when King Prasat Thong originally constructed a palace on Bang Pain Island in the Chao Phraya River. It is not known how long the palace was used before the Burmese invaded Ayutthaya in 1767 but nothing remained in 1807. King Rama IV, better known as King Mongkut (1851 - 1868) had a residence, Wat Niwet Thamprawat, constructed on the outer island which was built by his son and heir King Chulalongkorn. The present palace dates from King Chulalongkorn (1868 - 1910). Most of the palace buildings still standing today date to the period 1872 - 1889. No longer used as a summer palace by the current royal family Bang Pain is occasionally used for receptions and banquets.

The palace consists of an inner and outer palace. The inner palace contained the residence buildings and is reached via a covered bridge (left). The covered bridge allowed the court ladies to look out without being seen. The outer palace was used for official functions.

The walk along the river
Entering the palace grounds you walk along a small river toward the inner grounds. The area is beautiful with a park like setting and manicured plantings. The weather was extremely hot and a few minutes spent resting under the trees was a welcome alternative to the hot Sun beating down on you.

Anne resting in the shade
Each of the palace buildings was built in a different architectural style and included examples of Greek and Chinese architecture styles.

Anne standing on the steps to one of the
palace buildings with Grecian style columns

Ho Withun Thasana, the tower and
sage's lookout, built in 1881, served
as a tower from which the King could
view the surrounding countryside

Phra Thinang Wehart Chamrun, the Royal Residence Heavenly
Light, a Chinese style mansion built in 1889. Construction of
the residence was initially begun by the Chinese people, however,
they were sent home and the residence was completed by
the Thai people.

Anne, Darla and Ken inside Phra
Thinang Wehart Chamrun

Phra Thinang Wehart Chamrun

A shrine with a golden statue of
Buddha on the grounds of Bang Pain
Now it's time for the lunch cruise back to Bangkok aboard the Ayutthaya Princess. Join us for scenes along the Chao Phraya River as we cruise back to Bangkok ...
Links to all China and Anniebee's Web site Pages
Previous | Next

Direct Page Links

Getting There
Singapore -- Orchard Road | Chinatown | Merlion Park | Arab Town and Indian District | Tang Dynasty City | Singapore Zoo | Mandai Orchid Garden | Sentosa Island
Hong Kong -- Hong Kong Island | Hong Kong at Night and the New Territories | Kat Hing Wai and Lok Ma Chau | Kowloon | Causeway Bay
Macau -- Monte Hill and St. Paul's | A-Ma Temple and Lou Lem Ioc Garden
People's Republic of China -- The Border and Farming Village | Lunch and the Ox | Dr. Sun Yat-Sen's Home | Chinese Market
Bangkok -- The City and Weekend Market | The Grand Palace | Grand Palace (Emerald Buddha) | Grand Palace (Dusit Group) | Ayutthaya (Reclining Buddha) | Ayutthaya (Ruins) | Bang-Pa-In Palace | Chao Phraya River
Phuket -- The Hotel and Popeye | Phuket Island | The Beaches and Local Wat | Promthep Cape
Japan -- Tokyo | Niko & Toshogu Shrine | Osaka & Kyoto | Visiting Friends | Nara | Hiroshima & Miyajima | Going Home

Links to other Anniebee's web site pages

Anniebee's Home Page | Annie's Kites | Drewry Family History | Vacation Paradise | Web Design Services

E-mail questions to :